I took a break from macarons this week to bring you this ah-maze-ing mango pie that will beat all other summer desserts. The secret is that it is SUPER easy, but will impress all your friends in no time! It is the perfect blend because the cream cheese & yogurt base helps balance out the sweetness from the mangos and oranges.
Pie Crust: Adapted from InspiredTaste
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup very cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 to 8 tbsp of ice water
Couple tbsp of cinnamon sugar
1. Using a food processor, add 1.5 cups of flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse a couple times until combined
2. Evenly distribute butter cubes over flour and process until dough or paste forms (leave no uncoated flour)
3. Scrape and redistribute mixture before adding the remaining flour. Pulse another couple times until dough looks broken up and little crumbly
4. Transfer to medium bowl and drizzle ice water starting with 4 tbsp. Continue to use a rubber spatula by pressing the dough in itself. If dough still crumbles when pinched, continue to add 1 tbsp of ice water at a time.
5. Remove dough from bowl and shape just enough to form a disc shape. Then refrigerate for at least an hour
6. Once dough has firmed, let it sit for 5 mins so it is easier to roll out. Lightly sprinkle flour on surface, top of dough, and rolling pin before rolling out. Continue to lightly sprinkle if dough is sticking to rolling pin, counter, etc.
7. Once dough is about 1/8" thick and about a 12 inch circle, roll dough around rolling pin for an easy transfer
8. Gently press dough down into dish so that it lines the bottom and sides of the dish. Make sure to not stretch or tear the dough. Trim leaving 1/2" excess around the edges. Not required, but I like to sprinkle cinnamon sugar around the edges and base of crust :)
9. Pierce the bottom with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Line crust with two sheets of aluminum foil and push it against across whole pie surface. Then, fill foil with dried rice or pie weights.
10. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 mins while oven preheats to 425F. Place a baking sheet in middle rack while oven preheats.
11. Place pie crust in oven, and turn temperature down to 400F with foil and pie weights still in tact
12. Bake for 20-30 mins until golden. Then make an egg wash with 1 egg and 1 tbsp of cream (I use whole milk) and lightly brush across crust
13. Continue to bake for another 3-5 mins until egg wash is dry and shiny. Cool completely before filling
6 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup of Greek yogurt (plain)
1 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp orange juice
4 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1. Remove skin from mangos and cut the sides into large chunks. Slice thinly (about 1/8" thick)
2. Mix cream cheese, yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl and beat with mixer until well blended
3. Pour into pie crust, and even distribute
4. Starting from the edges, take the larger mango slices and slightly overlap each piece as you go around at the edges. Continue to work your way to the center using the larger pieces down to the small pieces. Your flower will begin to form :)
Hope you all enjoy and have a happy summer!
Stay Sweet NYC